Monday, February 20, 2012

Night Review

I found Night by Elie Wiesel to be a very engaging and interesting read.  Unlike last week's Power, I was drawn in right away.  This could be for the mere fact that I just find the subject matter more interesting.  While Night had some gruesome scenes, (such as the hanging) and was filled with plenty of violence, I think it would still be a great read for 9-12.  The events Wiesel takes readers through--being kicked out of his home, separated from his family, Auschwitz, losing his faith in God, the violence towards innocent human beings of all ages, and beyond--and the devastating effects of these events (physically and mentally) are something that everyone should be more than aware of.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this is a great read for a high school level course. I think that it could be useful in subject areas other than just an English course. It could be well used in a history classroom, as well. This novel is very engaging and I found it difficult to put down the first time I read it in tenth grade. I recall that I read the vast majority of the novel in one day over Thanksgiving break. I just sat in my room all day and read and read. I enjoy this novel every time I read it; in its repetition nothing can be said to be lost in terms of enjoyment for the reader. There is a lot to gain from repeating a densely packed novel such as this one, though.

    ReplyDelete