Sunday, February 5, 2012

Flight Review

I found Flight by Sherman Alexie to be an interesting read.  I think that there were a lot of great messages conveyed throughout this novel; searching/finding one's own identity, world issues, Native Americans and history are several examples.

Last week while reading The House on Mango Street, I found myself wondering when the stories were going to come full circle, I found myself wondering this in the beginning of Flight as well, however I was much more satisfied with the latter's ending.  I found this to be an easy, entertaining read, although at times I was a bit confused as to how Zits was doing this time traveling, I know it's irrelevant, but I suppose that the realist or something in me!

While I liked reading this novel and am all for the messages it shares and teaches, I think if I were going into education, I'd be a bit conflicted on whether or not to teach this to adolescents.  If I were, I'd definitely want to make sure it was a mature and older class because some of the passages and language are a bit obscene and probably not appropriate for a younger audience.  I would also imagine that reading this book would cause some problems with parents disapproving of their child reading it.

1 comment:

  1. I think that this would be a good read for students. The material is sometimes graphic, but because Zits comes to realize that he needs to changes and why what he has been doing is not right, he changes. Also, sometimes you need a little bit of an edgier book to keep kids' attention. If parents disapprove, have a back up book for those students. It would not be the first book I would teach in a lesson or unit, but it could be a contender.

    ReplyDelete